Online Defamation / Cyber Smearing
Defamation is injury to the reputation of a person. Cyber defamation occurs when defamation takes place with the help of computers and / or the Internet.
The three essentials of defamation are:
- The statement must be false and defamatory,
- The said statement must refer to the victim, and
- The statement must be published.
A person's reputation is his or her property and sometimes even more valuable than physical property.
Cyber criminals may also disclose victims' personal data (e.g. real name, address, or workplace/ schools) on various immoral websites.
Cases of piggy-backing on victim’s identity are now common. This could be used to publish objectionable material in their name that defames or ridicules a person.
Digital impersonation is one of the most dangerous kinds of online reputation problems. It happens when someone else assumes your identity and communicates using your real name, photograph or avatar.
Impersonator could either hack into your real accounts; or just create fake profiles or comments purporting to be “you.” The motivation behind the act may be revenge, sadism, extortion, or playing some kind of twisted prank. The damage to reputation caused by impersonating someone online can be substantial and hard to cope with.
Solutions for Individual
- Social Networking Crimes
- Mobile Phone & SMS Crimes
- Online Defamation / Cyber Smearing
- Online Harassment / Cyber Stalking
- Bullying in Cyberspace
- Digital Identity Fraud
- Revenge Pornography
- Credit Card & Debit Card Frauds
- ATM Card Skimming & PIN Capturing
- Internet & Mobile Banking Frauds
- Phishing Attacks & Countermeasures
- Vishing & Smishing Attacks
- Apr 06,2021INDIAN COMPANIES AND HIPAA (COMPLIANCE, BREACH, AND PENALTIES)
- Apr 06,2021Online Payments
- Mar 30,2021Copyright over Stock photos used by Political Parties