Vishing & Smishing Attacks
This is morphology of SMS and phishing – SmiShing. It is the same as "phishing," in which you receive an email that seems to be from a reputable source, asking for your credit card data, password, or other private information. Only instead of an email, smishing takes place through the SMS text messages you receive on your cell phone.
- Do not click on links sent through SMSes.
- Do not reply to promotional SMSes.
- Always type link and do not click on automated links.
The term is a combination of “voice” and phishing. Vishing is the criminal act of using voice email, VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), landline or cellular telephone to gain access to private, personal and financial information from the public for the purpose of financial reward by committing identity theft. It is typically used to steal credit card numbers by a scammer who usually pretends to be in legitimate business, and fools the victim into thinking he or she will profit.
- Hackers can hack into Caller ID systems and modify the area code. Therefore, do not trust the area code of a number compulsorily.
- Most Vishing attacks normally expect the victim to respond immediately. Be vigilant and do not entertain unnecessary messages or calls.
- Banks do not explain information to customers over a recorded phone call. Hang up if you think it’s a Vishing attack.
- Call up your bank from the information given to you on your debit/credit card to verify if there is anything they want to tell you.
- Do not respond to a call from a bank that requests you to bring ID proof to verify anything. Banks already have the reliable information. It may be a Vishing attack.
Solutions for Individual
- Social Networking Crimes
- Mobile Phone & SMS Crimes
- Online Defamation / Cyber Smearing
- Online Harassment / Cyber Stalking
- Bullying in Cyberspace
- Digital Identity Fraud
- Revenge Pornography
- Credit Card & Debit Card Frauds
- ATM Card Skimming & PIN Capturing
- Internet & Mobile Banking Frauds
- Phishing Attacks & Countermeasures
- Vishing & Smishing Attacks
- Apr 06,2021INDIAN COMPANIES AND HIPAA (COMPLIANCE, BREACH, AND PENALTIES)
- Apr 06,2021Online Payments
- Mar 30,2021Copyright over Stock photos used by Political Parties